ASBO PD130

Show off your caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

ASBO PD130

Post by the_fid »

Hi guys

Followed the forum for a little while but thought I’d finally make a build thread for my caddy. Never done this sort of thing so bare with me!

It started its life as they all do as a bog standard leased white van with no options. PD104 BLS engine code. Now I bought it back early last year. It had had a fair few visual upgrades already.

This is the day I got the van

Some of you may recognise it. Before my ownership a well know painter in the VW scene owned it. Colour Kraft. At this point all mods were purely visual

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Re: ASBO PD130

Post by the_fid »

It didn’t take me long to start modifying it. Within the first week I had had the windows tinted and a chameleon windscreen installed. Not to everyone’s taste but I love it and I suppose that’s what matters

Windows and Chameleon screen:

Added an air filter because I’m a yob xD
Also replaced the vac lines as it wasn’t boosting properly. A problem I wouldn’t find until much later in ownership!

Yobo air filter:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Next, as it’s primarily for my business, I had the van signwritten. It took me and the boys at Spectrum Graphics in Erith many back and forths to get something we were happy with.

Finalised Graphics drawings:

Halfway through installation:

Finished product:

Somewhere in between this and the last post I had made an exhaust as you can see in this picture:

Also tried some new wheels which I wasn’t a fan of and they cracked within a month:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Took it to a few shows and drove it around like this for a while
Tunerfest 2021:Image
Here’s my cat using it as a stretch pad:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

After cracking the other set of wheels I had the original wheels refurbed in Porche Acid Green. It was a bold move but I’m so glad I pulled the trigger

At the refurbishers:

First install:

This for me is one of my favourite mods. I really wasn’t sure when first having them done but I’m so glad I did

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Next up was a mod In preparation for some more power. I bought a Darkside Developments front mount intercooler and hardpipes. Fitment was pretty straight forward. Looks mega behind the grille.

Bumper off. I believe I also took the slam panel off from memory (I don’t have a picture of this) as I took the original intercooler out and had to custom mount the radiator. An SDI radiator would of probably been a better option but this isn’t spoken about anywhere so I made do with what I had. Most people leave the stock one in there but that to me seems silly

Bumper off:

Admiring the custom plates which we also make in house:
Crash bar cut to suit:

Intercooler fitted:
Headlight lenses could of really done with polishing.

The final fit:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

I realise I posted the wrong photo in the previous post. The intercooler wasn’t fitted in that one. But trust that it was in the picture after that on my camera roll Image I don’t permanently have an axle stand under the intercooler!

Next was the first show I took my van to. USC or ultimate street car at Santa pod. Mega weekend. One of the best shows I’ve ever been to. I took it up the strip as you do Image
Remember earlier I said about a split vac line? I still hadn’t found the one that was split at this point. It was slow as anything. Managed an 18 second pass which I’ve done better in the past in standard Sportspack Minis Image but I still had fun and got some cool pictures

Show and shine:
More strip photos:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

So again I drove it around and enjoyed it how it was for a little while. I was stacking parts up ready to do all in one go.

I think the only thing I did in this time was fit a rear spoiler which I don’t know why I never done sooner

Before:

After:

Went around doing plenty of trade work until this picture which is where everything changed!
May just look like an average photo but this is where I broke down after detonating the 5 speed gearbox. The diff came through the bellhousing and sprayed oil onto the clutch. I had no drive and was stuck. Phoned my dad to come and tow me and when he got there his car wouldn’t start again! So two broken cars. Not the best of days. Ended up being his crank sensor at fault giving him issues with hot start. A long walk to euros and it was fixed.

As for my van once we towed it back to the old unit I almost immediately ripped the entire engine out. As you do!

At this point I found the split vacuum hose. A smoke tester would of found it instantaneously but I just assumed the PD104s were all slow so didn’t find it until this point.

Damaged 5 speed:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

So we got to work building up the new engine. My engine of choice was of course a 1.9TDI PD130 ASZ. Not only is it one of the easier swaps to do with no major wiring to undertake, it’s also one of my favourite engines and a swap I was always planning on doing

Engine built up and ready to go in:

The specs are as follows;

PD130 ASZ
PD150 Headbolts
BLS cam and crank sensor
GTD2060 turbo
PD130 Injectors
Single mass flywheel
Paddle clutch
Custom tig welded intake

I still wish I’d spent more time cleaning and painting the bay and engine block but being my work van I needed it back on the road as quickly as possible

Here is the engine mounted:

Front end mounted back up:

More to follow

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Finished bolting everything upImage

Relocated the N75 and simplified the vac lines to not include EGR ect :

Welded up a 3 inch straight through:
Welded up some new boost pipes:

Took it for its first drive home. With no bumper of course. For which you will see why a little later on:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

So on the drive home the clutch bleed valve burst. I had got the part from a breakers with unknown mileage so I guess you win some and you lose some. Deciding I didn’t want to lose the game again I ordered a billet clutch bleed block from the boys over at HEL. Custom ordered in Green to match everything else. I think they now do these in all sorts of colours but at the time I was the first to have one done a different colour

Here it is in all its glory:

Along with this I bolted on some R32 345mm front brakes along with braided hoses

Brakes:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

At this point I received my new bumper back from paint. This is as I’m sure most of you know a MK7 GTI bumper grafted onto the bottom of a Caddy bumper. It took me a while to source the grilles for it but this is how it looked for a few weeks

MK7 GTI bumper on:

When changing the brakes I noticed the ball joints on the lower arm looked a little worse for wear. When trying to undo said arms the back bolt that goes through the subframe decided to snap in half. This meant it was impossible to remove the arm from the subframe. At this point I clicked the f*** it button and kind of went ham on the front suspension part of things. I ordered the following

SuperPro ally arms
SuperPro ALK
SuperPro Roll centre Ball joints
Passat alloy hubs
New driveshafts
New track rods and track rod ends
ECS Deadset kit
Whiteline Antirollbar
Whiteline adjustable Drop links
Oh and a new subframe and all the bolts

New Subframe all built up:

Subframe all bolted up:

Shiny new arms bolted up :

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Back on the floor I decided to mock up a new 80mm intake. Still haven’t made this as I haven’t had the time but I’ve got all the pipework and jig made up for it so it won’t take me long to do when I get round to it

80mm intake testing:

Sourced some grilles and gave it a wash:

Then fitted some vibra technic engine and gearbox mounts because I don’t like my spine clearly

Gearbox:

Engine:

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Drove it around like that for a while and then again, I got bored and started buying more bits. The next thing was a touran dashboard along with leather doorcards and leather passat front seats and leather touran rears

Before the dash:Image

During dash install:

After dash install:

Makes a huge difference to the feel inside the cockpit

Seats before:

Seats after :

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Next up was USC 2022! I was looking forward to going up the strip again with double the power. It didn’t disappoint! Managed a 15.8 which although doesn’t seem massively impressive by any means I’m still over the moon with it. Here’s some pictures from the event

And this is how the back looked when we got home Image

So a quick clean to bring it back. Only stuff I find that gets rid of the soot is from a brand called Auto Perfection. It works rather well as you can see:

We don’t map all our cars silly Smokey. We’ve just gone balls to the wall with the injection timing to get the most out of stock injectors. Since it’s my van I’m not overly fussed. Just means I’ve got to clean it a bit more often

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy