ASBO PD130

Show off your caddy
Billy.2kcaddy
100BHP+

Re: ASBO PD130

Post by Billy.2kcaddy »

the_fid wrote:That’s the thing. Luckily it won’t cost me directly as I do all my own labour but still my time. Got to drive all the way to Milton Keynes to drop the box back too. Just all time more than anything. And not getting to make it up the strip tomorrow is the biggest kick in the teeth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nah, that's the slightly fortunate thing, tbh but it's still all your time. I'm not far from mk, so that sounds close to me Image. Yeah, I bet. It always goes wrong when you're looking forward to something Image

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

the_fid
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by the_fid »

Exactly. But what can you do eh. I’m south east London sort of way. So not exactly round the corner for me

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
Billy.2kcaddy
100BHP+

Post by Billy.2kcaddy »

Not at alot mate just get it sorted for next year. Yeah, not exactly close then.

Sent from my SM-S908B using Tapatalk

Dean1284
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Dean1284 »

What ET and J alloys did you go for? I’ve just bought the same 18” 8J 45ET. Trying to find out if they’ll clear golf R callipers
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

8j et 35

45 will clear Golf R Calipers fine. Stock Golf R wheels are something like ET 52 if I remember correctly

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
Dean1284
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Dean1284 »

Cheers for the info mate
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

So. Swapped the box for my spare. Realised my old clutch wasn’t broken. The spare box was! I don’t know if I mentioned it on here before but I was getting issues with not being able to select any gears with the engine running. Being that it went into gear fine when off I stupidly assumed it was my old clutch. That was around January time with the old engine and clutch. Now I’ve put that box back in I’ve got the same issue. So I’ve got to swap the box again which is a pain.

So to soothe my pain and cheer myself up I bolted on my latest purchase

A set of RS3 4 Pot Brembos with Vagbremtecnic 2 piece floating discs:

Difficult to see on camera as they are black but they are huge. 362x32mm discs, 4 pot brembos. It should stop rather well once I’ve sorted actually making it go Image they will 100% be going acid green. No questions about it unlike the wheels. Hopefully very soon just waiting on my painter

They are also a hell of a lot lighter than the S3 setup. Discs being 2 piece are very light and the Calipers were also surprisingly lighter. All helps I suppose. I’ve now got to work out fitting the s3 rears. And also work out if I need to change the brake master to cope with the bigger brakes. Unfortunately not a lot of info on diesel caddy’s with big brakes. I wonder why ImageImage

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Few issues as always Image

So bought another 02m and fitted. No idea on ratios ect. Just bought it to get me going until the built one is sorted. Turns out clutch pressure plate bolts had come loose. Torqued them to spec which was 13nm. So this time around they got a swift FT. Annoying doing things the right way and having problems. But they aren’t coming undone this time Image

On the subject of torque specs I torqued the carrier bolts to oem spec which I think was 200nm. Brakes were making a horrible noise

After a quick phone call with VBT their old cast ally carriers are meant to be torqued to 85nm. Whoops! Being a second hand kit there was no way of me knowing. Just went with oem specs. So ordered their new carriers which are billet steel.

Old on the left, New on the right

You can tell they are much better quality. Threaded body instead of helicoil and are just generally beefier. Torqued up to VBT spec of 140nm and no issues

But the noise wasn’t the carrier, although good that I heard the noise as it made me look and find the cracked one. The noise actually turned out to be the disc fowling on the ball joint. Now through doing a bit of research, you can only go so big in terms of discs with the SuperPro adjustable ball joints as they sit closer to the disc than oem. I was fine with 345mm s3 discs but 362mm is clearly pushing it. So tomorrow I’ll be putting stock ball joints on. Not a major drama as I now have camber adjustment at the top on the BC’s. But annoying all the same

So not really having the best of times at the minute. Van has been finished almost 3 weeks and I still haven’t really driven it properly. Hopefully I’ll get to have a proper go tomorrow with the stock ball joints

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
B52
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by B52 »

Fascinating....is my response to this progression in your Build I begin to understand the limits,or should I say the "un limits" that a true 'caddy heart' knows is only a few hurdles away.,..disc size,calliper puzzles.....nearly there ....wow,will it be the Pod Master ...I await with enthusiasm......
Regarding my caddy,...I keep my hand covered....not in the Super league,I can assure you....but an interesting van !
Keep up the explanations down to the last nm suits me fine, physics,maths.....been there.(kept the t shirt,nearly burnt it at times.,).
Love the thread.
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Thanks for the kind words

I will continue to test the limits. It’s in my nature

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

So. Stock ball joints did indeed fix the issue. So I finally got to drive my van properly for the evening. Very happy to say the least. Lots more to come but for now, she’s running and driving Image

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy
Danok
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Danok »

Loved reading through this! Amazing build mate
PeterAFox
200BHP+

Post by PeterAFox »

Wow. Serious work
Azz03
Hyper Poster

Post by Azz03 »

[mention]the_fid [/mention] incredible build could only wish for my pd130 swapped engine to look like this . Quick question did you have the bottom boost pipe made or do it yourself. Yours is a lot further away from the bottom crank wheel.

the_fid
Caddy Fan

Post by the_fid »

Thanks guys

Boost pipe I made myself. Everything fabrication wise on the van I’ve done personally

James
ASBO Performance
400BHP 1.9TDi Caddy