2008 Caddy 1.9

Show off your caddy
tim04
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

2008 Caddy 1.9

Post by tim04 »

Hi,

I recently picked up a 2008 Caddy that needs quite a bit of work, and my original plan was to do the basics and just run it as my main "transport", but having read some of the threads on here I've been sucked into transforming it. We are waiting on our new build house being completed, which has a double garage, and I plan to start work on the van when we move in at the end of January.

The van was used for deliveries by the company my wife works for, but during lockdown it was left unused for 18 months and suffered from a rat infestation. A local garage has carried out repairs to the wiring loom, but after stopping deliveries my wife's company just wanted rid of it as 3rd gear was difficult to select, and 5th impossible. Once I picked it up I worked out that the gear linkage was being fouled by the rats nest (missed by the garage), so I cleared it out and lubricated the pivot and it works perfectly now.

Before I think about mods I really need to address the following issues -

1) The van has only done 71k, but it has been short, city driving. The clutch is stiff so I suspect it will need to be replaced, or there is an issue with the hydraulics.

2) The timing belt has never been replaced; I've never done one before but it's something that I want to replace myself asap.

3) There are number of warnings popping up, which I suspect will be related to damage from the rats (water temp warning, abs etc), so I will need to investigate.

The plan is to get it cleaned (it's really dirty), and running perfectly, then consider -

1) carpeting and insulating the rear

2) The van was always parked in a tight spot next to a building and there are numerous dents on one side (some to the top side rear). I would love to get them addressed.

3) Upgrade the interior - seats/steering wheel etc.

4) Replace wheels with alloys

My absolute favourite colour is Toffee brown, so if funds allow and I can find a good bodyshop, I would love to get it resprayed. In an ideal world, I would buy one in toffee brown then mod it, but this van cost me practically nothing to buy (scrap value) so I think I will stick with it and enjoy the process of upgrading it.

Pics to follow (I've cleaned out some of the rear already)
Last edited by tim04 on Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tim04
Caddy Fan

Re: 2008 Caddy 1.9

Post by tim04 »

ImageIMG_3015 by Tim Day, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3014 by Tim Day, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3033 by Tim Day, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3080 by Tim Day, on Flickr
RY_VW
Twin Turbo poster

Post by RY_VW »

This would make a great rags to riches story. Give it the transformation it needs 8)

Also, why did you buy it?did you want a van or fancy the project? Whatever the reason may be I think id be tempted at anything for scrap value, never mind a caddy :lol:
63 plate 1.6tdi startline in reflex silver
Colour coded-Audi s3 alloys-Seat leon seats-Van style roof rails-Needle sweep-cruise control.
RCD330-lowered on kw stx coilovers
More to follow 8)
tim04
Caddy Fan

Post by tim04 »

Thanks RY. I really fancied a project to make use of the new double garage, and had planned on buying a Porsche 924 to work on but then the van came along. I’ve owned vans in the past and thought this would make an ideal project and a run around/day van, especially for my dog. The fact it cost £250 made it a worthwhile gamble!
Raph71
Caddy Fan

Post by Raph71 »

Warning, this forum is a very addictive drug!!
The usual course is an arrival here to ask for 2-3 advice for a purchase or a trinket to modify and it ends with a van that no longer has an original part!! :-D
A piece of advice, flee before the disease takes you away!! lol
tim04
Caddy Fan

Post by tim04 »

Thanks Ralph….it’s already happened! My initial google search was for advice on fixing the gear linkage and now I’m already looking at engine swaps!