Clutch issues

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
craigroco
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Clutch issues

Post by craigroco »

Hi folks, does anyone have any knowledge of this problem ? 2011 2.0 tdi and my clutch pedal is almost on the floor to the point where I cannot engage gears today ! I know most likely master brake cylinder or slave but I don’t see any drop in fluid, is that normal ? Hopefully not the clutch itself, only bought it last week and it was driving great until Thursday 🤬
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Clutch issues

Post by BenT »

When you say the pedal is almost on the floor, do you mean that that's its resting position? What happens if you pull the pedal up and then re-depress it? If it comes up, stays up and then sinks to the floor when you depress it then it's likely a leak. If it feels spongey and springs back up again there may be air in the system.

I'd park the van up somewhere dry (not that you can move it, by the sound of it...), then repeatedly pull the pedal up then push back down a number of times and look for leaks on the ground and around the master/slave cylinders.

The worst case scenario is if the clutch pressure plate fingers have snapped, meaning you'd need a new clutch. Hope this helps!
craigroco
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Re: Clutch issues

Post by craigroco »

Thank you so much BenT, pressed the pedal up and down for about 5 mins with the reservoir cap loose and the pedal has come backup to ok and I can engage all the gears again. It’s still booked in with my mechanic mate next Tuesday to check out the system. Looks like the fluid needs flushed anyway as it’s a terrible colour, I would doubt in 12 years it’s had a fluid change anyway :cry: