Aussie work Van

Show off your caddy
MWMRacing
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Aussie work Van

Post by MWMRacing »

We have had a SWB Caddy Runner with the powerhouse 1.2 litre turbo petrol for the last 5 years, we have used it as a work van carrying everything from IT infrastructure to Engines and gearboxes for our racecars.

The time has been coming for a while that we wanted another work caddy, but wanted one a bit more practical for us- so in came the idea of a TFSI swapped Caddy to get a touch more grunt- ans wanting a Long wheel base.

So we set about the research, talking with several people who have already done much the same swap- researching basic theories on wiring and soon discovering it is actually a rabbithole, and what will go into the diesel to petrol swap.

We have located a 2010 Diesel Caddy Manual with a blown diesel- which we will be picking up shortly- this will be our donor for the swap- theory being that given this will take some time that we dont want to take our existing caddy off the road.

Now- the engine/gearbox/wiring donor- we dug into potential donors and the costs associated and we settled on getting an EOS or Jetta as they usually havent been ragged on as much as a GTi- after perusing for some time we found an EOS donor at the salvage auctions that was in pretty reasonable condition.
BWA TFSI- DSG- and being a 2008 we arent too far apart on the year of the Caddy and Eos so that should Image minimise the incompatibilities during the swap Module wise.

First step is getting the EOS drivable so we can test to ensure there isnt anything reliability wise we need to sort before the swap- and we are also organising a list of parts we will replace as precautionary repairs.

Next is something we are beginning to work on immediately, developing our comparison tables for the ECU pinouts to know what we need to put where during the splicing.ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

2013 Caddy Runner- 66KW manual- 2007 SWB Diesel- currently being converted to TFSI
itease
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Re: Aussie work Van

Post by itease »

Good to see you posting on here mate and looking forward to seeing the progress of your Caddy. Hit me up if you need any help with the conversion.

Cheers,
Mark
MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

itease wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:41 am Good to see you posting on here mate and looking forward to seeing the progress of your Caddy. Hit me up if you need any help with the conversion.

Cheers,
Mark
Thanks Legend, i certainly will- already appreciate the assistance thus far!
2013 Caddy Runner- 66KW manual- 2007 SWB Diesel- currently being converted to TFSI
MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

Well, progress ran to a halt for a short period as i finished my university courses, but back onto it now- we have the caddy itself now, were told it was a long wheel base before we picked it up but it turns out its a short wheel base, but alas full steam ahead.

Unfortunately, it is wrapped and its in terrible condition, but its protected the paintwork underneath so it will be slow progress but it will tidy up, thus far we are 3 hours in with only the side door and rear quarter mostly stripped.

Wiring conversion diagrams are currently in progress and are about half done as well, so just working on getting the EOS running properly to scan and test drive to ensure we dont have any issues, then we will start the swap.Image

MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

More progress on the conversion, finally getting it on the move now- took the old diesel engine out last weekend- and spent this weekend installing some GTI seats ive had stashed away for some time from my daily driven GTI after i upgraded it.

Next weekend we are putting the donor EOS onto the hoist to start pulling the TFSI out, giving it a timing belt and DSG service whilst out and get it installed into its new home- then starts the most time consuming part- the wiring.ImageImageImage

MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

Now we are into the slow progress area- been spending hours developing conversion diagrams for the wiring- and have just started the repinning process- got most of it done now and next step will be to chase out the extra wiring in the eos harness that i need that my caddy doesnt currently have.
But even before that ill be swapping the subframes between the two so i can get the EOS off the hoist and back out into the yard.

Also picked up a newer style DSG shifter than what came in the EOS- so just have to look into the harness diagrams and see if i can hopefully make it work Image

Hopefully will have some more in depth progress shortly with some of the more fun stuff once we move the subframe across as we have some goodies like new bushes ImageImageImageImage

MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

Also forgot- old gearbox mount in the eos was buggered so grabbed a new one and popped it in before we got started on the wiring harness- piccies show the difference between the caddy manual diesel one and the eos TFSI DSG mount ImageImageImage

MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

More progress today, been a few weeks in-between but slowly making more progress.

Today's effort was the removal of both exhausts, and the swapping of subframes, shocks, brakes, uprights, and control arms between the EOS and the Caddy.

I reinstalled the Caddy subframe into the EOS to keep it rolling so we could move it about, and get it off the hoist to a place I can strip it further.

Swap went well, kept the alloy control arms out of the EOS on the floor so I can swap the bushes over with brand new Whiteline Poly Bushes so it's all pristine as it goes back together and handles like a new car once back in the caddy. The brakes will get looked at with replacement consumables and the shocks will as well, but to start with this is ideal as it will allow us to just move the car around once the engines back in.

Next up is the stripping of both interiors so I can chase the DSG harness through the EOS to the gearbox itself, and then transfer it to the Caddy to the modern style shifter- also tossing about the idea of moving the EOS climate control to the caddy whilst I'm in there, but still undecided on this as I really want to get the Caddy running first.

I also have to pull the interior to get to the EOS Fuel Pump in case i have to do a frankenpump for the diesel tank- but keeping my eyes peeled for a petrol Caddy fuel tank, lines etc to keep it beautifully neat, rather than doing the dodge method.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

fwiw, for all the intricate detail your going thru n doing, I would recommend taking an extra bit of time to include the climate air and also the try and get a petrol tank to complete the job 100%
otherwise, if your anything like me or others, you'll wish you had done it while you had the chance and kick yourself for not doing it later down the track

the work to date looks exemplary
it's going to be a tidy vehicle when completed
snuffegull
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by snuffegull »

I'm gonna follow this for sure! Nice progress so far :D
MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

stu_b wrote:fwiw, for all the intricate detail your going thru n doing, I would recommend taking an extra bit of time to include the climate air and also the try and get a petrol tank to complete the job 100%
otherwise, if your anything like me or others, you'll wish you had done it while you had the chance and kick yourself for not doing it later down the track

the work to date looks exemplary
it's going to be a tidy vehicle when completed
Yeah it's one of those things, given everything is going to be out, the ammount of wiring ive got to do anyway, it's not as though its a large conversion to do the climate in comparison to putting the engine and DSG in, and the harness is already going to be unwrapped so may as well- all comes down to time I suppose haha

Ill keep my eyes peeled for the tank, as it's also the simplest method for the tank side of things as the path of least resistance.

MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

snuffegull wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:06 pm I'm gonna follow this for sure! Nice progress so far :D
Appreciate it- hope i do it justice- like all the vans i think it will perpetually be a work in progress even once its running- still have goals of some of the goodies i see in other vans like Axle Flip kits, Coilovers, maybe a K04 swap down the track, some 6R brakes.
We do a fair bit of racing, and there's a rally sprint i would really LOVE to take the caddy to just to see the reactions of a caddy going full tilt :lol:
MWMRacing
Caddy Fan

Post by MWMRacing »

Unfortunately ive been sick all week so only got a few hours to work on the van this week.

I got to replacing the bushes on the EOS Control arms- the inners went in beautifully, but I soon discovered that the kit I ordered from Whiteline for the rear control arm bushes were caster correction bushes, so they werent matched- so instead of installing something that didn't fit out use case I went fishing in the race spares (we have a Golf 6R racecar) and fished out some good used bushes from the spares kit which should do till I get replacements down the track.
Once replaced I popped them back into the van and spent some time reassembling the suspension so if I need to roll it to the hoist it can now be dropped on the floor and moved sucessfully.

I also spent some time doing some interior stripping and dropping the heat shields to replace the shifter- and got the new style DSG shifter installed successfully- which has also given additional room for the wiring that needs to take place in the interior anyway.

I also spent a bit of time stripping the steering wheel, MFSW module and blinker stalks out of the eos to pop in the caddy, a lot of it was unfortunately missing when I got it, so that should resolve that as an issue as well which is great- I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a cheap MK5 or MK6 GTI wheel with the flappy paddles, which ill install at a later date- anyone know which MFSW module I'll need for that?

Ill probably also spend a bit of time doing some cleaning of subframe components over the next little while just to tidy everything so it looks near new before I put the engine back in.

I have to do some more stripping of the eos interior as my next port of call for chasing the wiring out that I'm after as well, I just didn't quite have the time today unfortunately.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage