Maxi - Not a Show Van

Show off your caddy
Poffe
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Maxi - Not a Show Van

Post by Poffe »

Be4ny13 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:42 pm Painted the side strips and rear grab handle. At some point I had previously done the side door handles, no photos of them though, and began scouring the interwebs for some Touran door cards
Was the side strips easy to remove? The door handles and side strips will be painted body colour for sure in the spring
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

Caddy Maxi - daily and camper build
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

With patience and a heat gun they come off easily. I used a plastic scraper to get under the end then gently peeled them up. They have locating holes to go back on level too

Far From Perfect, Perfect From Far
Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Nice! I always wondered how sweet fabric held up against cleaning

Also the half n half on the dash
Is a fantastic idea!
Poffe
100BHP+

Post by Poffe »

Be4ny13 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:53 pm With patience and a heat gun they come off easily. I used a plastic scraper to get under the end then gently peeled them up. They have locating holes to go back on level too
Thx!! I’ll try to use the same method as well then
Caddy Maxi 1.6 TDI -2014. First time VW/Caddy owner, already deep in the rabbit hole

Caddy Maxi - daily and camper build
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

Noticed my third brake light had cracked the day before my MOT, fortunately not an issue but had to get a new one. Was unsure whether to get a tinted one but decided with matching mk4 lights it would look good, lo and behold it does! Been meaning to get this rear bumper repainted and the sensors filled but now wondering about a hybrid bumper or mk4 if I can find a maxi one at a decent priceImage

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Maxilife08
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by Maxilife08 »

Gorgeous transformation 😍 might do some of this to mine
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

I wanted to fit puddle lights in my mirrors to come on with lock/unlock but when removing the cover on the mirrors one broke... Why not use this as a sign to upgrade to Life mirrors! Whilst waiting for paint to dry I went ahead and cut some Mk5/6 Golf puddle lights down to fit in the lower covers, most seem to use mk7.5 lights as they fit without any hacking up, but these are more expensive and don't emit as much light. Will get the lights fitted in the mirrors and paint and lacquer the caps over the week so next weekend I can fit them easy Image (famous last words no doubt) ImageImageImageImageImage

Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Smart!! I wanted to do this and possible try indicator as theres loads is loads of room in the mirror
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

Gmancan1 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:53 pm Smart!! I wanted to do this and possible try indicator as theres loads is loads of room in the mirror
I considered adding an indicator but didn't want to overload with flashing lights on the side of it. I have seen some fit small LEDs in a row as an indicator in the mirror which is a really neat way to do it
Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Yeah was on the fourm somewhere a guy drilled leds into a caddy life. Was thinking more like polo indicator base lile yours its not that different. Or mk7 golf strip or something.. tho your right about the overload

Ive manuals so wouldnt be a worry :).

If you where relocating the indicator tho surely be fine no sofferent than touran mirrors with puddle lights. Tho just one more thing to worry about
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

Got the caddy life mirrors fitted with the puddle lights wired in and working. Whilst the door cards were off I tidied up the mess of wiring so a very satisfying job, reckon I spent more time shortening and taping up wires than fitting the mirrors Image It's surprising how much more I can see with these mirrors, not behind me but in front because I can see over them.

Also bought a mk5/6 golf footrest cover from ebay for £15, with some filing down I've made it fit. Took a lot off on the left side making it curved to match the caddy footrest and mellowed the bends on the right side. Not as quick a job as I was expecting but it doesn't fit too badly nowImageImageImage

Damo2k
Twin Turbo poster

Post by Damo2k »

Just had a read through your build mate..amazing job.interior is tops.will have to add some sweade to my list,any preferences in quality's?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Nice them lights! When do they power on/off?
Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

Damo2k wrote:Just had a read through your build mate..amazing job.interior is tops.will have to add some sweade to my list,any preferences in quality's?

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Thank you! The material I used is a 4 way stretch foam backed suede from autocraftmotorcaravans.co.uk The foam backing makes it forgiving on uneven surfaces however it means it's a pain in the arse to remove. Worth it to get it looking good though

Be4ny13
Caddy Fan

Post by Be4ny13 »

Gmancan1 wrote:Nice them lights! When do they power on/off?
The mirror lights are wired into the same circuit as the white footwell lights so they come on with unlock, door opening, and removing key from ignition. It think they will also come on with welcome/coming home lights but I haven't tried them out in the dark yet