Bleeding cooling system?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
dontknowz
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Bleeding cooling system?

Post by dontknowz »

Hi does anyone know if the cooling system on caddys are self bleeding or weather you have to do a full bleed like on most cars aka blowers on full heat, expansion tank open ran up to temp. New to caddys and its taking ages to get anywhere near warm, recently had a water pump replaced and had to top the antifreeze up due to the light coming on the dash so I’m guessing its got alot of air somewhere in the system. Also don’t know if this is normal but when cold theres no coolant running through the return on the expansion tank I’m guessing this is because the thermostat is closed but not 100% because on all my other cars the antifreeze is cycling straight away and you can see it moving in the expansion tank.

Any helps appreciated just getting a bit frustrated not knowing enough cheers
BenT
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Bleeding cooling system?

Post by BenT »

I can't speak for the current generation of Caddy, but the MK2s, 3s and 4s are all self-bleeding. But it takes a while! My Octavia with the MK4 Caddy engine took at least 100 miles after draining and refilling before the coolant level stabilised and no longer needed topping up. My 1.6 MK3 took far less miles to sort itself out.

How many miles does yours take to warm up? Mine's taking between 4 and 6 miles to reach operating temperature which is quite normal. If it cools down while driving at low speeds then your thermostat might be stuck open. Quick and cheap to fix.

And yes, perfectly normal to have no flow to expansion tank or radiator until the thermostat pops open.
dontknowz
100BHP+

Post by dontknowz »

Mint mine takes about 3-4 miles to warm up ill just keep a bottle of antifreeze in the van then ive only done about 8 miles so far so will keep checking.

Thanks for your reply i was panicking thinking something was broke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

That warm up time's good :D

Hopefully it's just trapped air causing the coolant to drop. If it still does it after 100 miles or so you might want to check that the coolant pump's not leaking, in case the o-ring's got pinched.
dontknowz
100BHP+

Post by dontknowz »

Im hoping its just air because I’m hearing like a bubbling noise when i turn the van off once its been up to temp. Ive had it get pretty hot almost at 4 notches past 90 on the temp gauge which is very annoying don’t fancy a warped head ,luckily i caught it in time and put the blowers on full and that was enough drop it back to centre of temp gauge im gonna give it a good run Monday and see if anything has improved if not it’s going to a garage.

DW2207
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by DW2207 »

After renewing my secondary coolant radiator on my mk4 caddy, I carried a 5l bottle of g12 that I would have to top up a bit at a time over a few weeks and a couple hundred miles of driving. It's now at the correct level and so far no problems.
I probably lost around 2.5l of coolant on the removal of this radiator and have refilled pretty much the same amount.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

dontknowz
100BHP+

Post by dontknowz »

Hi me again so ive drove it around 200 miles and had runs about 20 miles here and there and im not getting any overheating but iam getting a low coolant but as soon as i take the top of the expansion tank it fills back up again? Has anyone experienced this

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Coolant returning to the reservoir when the cap is removed with the system warm is normal. The cap should only be removed and the level replenished when the system is cool.
If the level is below minimum when cool it needs a good top-up. Bring the level up to just above the marked area when cool, it'll do no harm as any excess when hot will just overflow.
If the level needs to be topped up often, you must be losing coolant somewhere.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
dontknowz
100BHP+

Post by dontknowz »

Hi so ive had this happen twice now when cold ill loosen the cap and all the coolant will return and itll be right on the max line, the picture was taken when the system was warm so didn’t open it. So should the coolant system at any point go below minimum or is this normal on vw?

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Definitely not normal, when the coolant system is warm the air in the reservoir should be under pressure and the level should rise. The fact there's more air in there than there should be suggests something is pressuring the system with air, that might be the head gasket or charge cooler.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
dontknowz
100BHP+

Post by dontknowz »

Yeah ive been reading the same things im hoping its just trapped air creating a vacuum because of it needing to be bleed

Savaloy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Savaloy »

Sorry to revive an older thread, but im have the exact same issue and i was wondering if you have had any joy in finding out what it was in the end?
When the engine is cool, the level is at the max but after driving and being up to temp (no over heating issues) once pressurised the level drops and brings on the low coolant lamp on the dash. Then when opening the expansion bottle the coolant then returns back to the max mark again... so annoying.
dontknowz
100BHP+

Post by dontknowz »

So mine has basically stopped doing that now it’s taken probably 1.5-2 litres of antifreeze over a couple of weeks if its lowering the level then theres definitely air somewhere, its a pain to bleed because you cant just let it sit at idle with the cap off like most other bleeds ive done because itll never reach temp so i just kept doing 20 mile motorway runs and kept topping it up

BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

I'd check the head gasket... When you can, leave the van overnight after you've driven it and open the coolant tank lid the following the morning. If there's a gurgle or release of gas then something's leaking air or exhaust gases into your cooling system.
Savaloy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Savaloy »

yeah i must have done around 500miles now but the van still has a moment where it feels like the level is low until i open the expansion bottle lid which it then all rushes back to the max mark.

BenT shouldnt it be slightly pressurised when opening the cap after letting it cool down over night?