Wee hole threw the bulkead!!

Wow cool
Idea!! Does it rattle much?
lollero2
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: 2014 Caddy from Finland

Post by lollero2 »

Simmo107 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:54 pm What did you mount that to please? The crash bar?
Sorry I haven’t stripped my bumper off to look yet! Project to start next few weeks 😂
Mounted just to the bumper with a lot of flat head screws. I cut the lower grille just barely enough so that it would help suppoer the light.
lollero2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lollero2 »

Gmancan1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:58 am Lights
Look like a fantastic upgrade

And
The
Wee hole threw the bulkead!!

Wow cool
Idea!! Does it rattle much?
The hole itself or the cover does not cause any noise or rattle. The latches I have on it currently are not very good and they are a bit loose so they rattle a little. Once the weather gets warmer (-20C currently) I will change the latches to adjustable ones.
Gmancan1
200BHP+

Post by Gmancan1 »

Thats handy! Is a fantastic idea :)
lollero2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lollero2 »

Now I wanted to add some ambient lighting on the inside.
In my Mk6 jetta there was red ambient leds in the dome light. On the caddy you could get a w8 domelight with the leds but that is way too expensive for something that simple.

So I bought some red 12v leds and holders for them.

First I took apart the light.

Cut some tabs from the backside because I wanted the leds to be right in the same spots as the tabs. Otherwise they would have been too close or too far from each other. And if they were further apart then one of them would be in the way of the switch.

Fitted the leds between the 2 layers of the light. This way the holders wont be visible.

Now i assembled the light and drilled through from the backside with a smaller drill. This way the holes would be centered on the holes for the holder.
Testing the leds.

Wires ran from the light switch.

Wired in and testing.

Nice subtle red glow.

Next up some footwell lighting.
jaroslaav_
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by jaroslaav_ »

Very nice mod. I have that planned as well. Looking forward on the footwell lighting.
2020 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0TDi - Pure Grey
My little humble build thread: https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54170
lollero2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lollero2 »

For footwell lighting I used these nice leds that I got from the trash at work :D

I mounted these in the center of the footwell.

On the passanger side there was only foam so I cut and bent a small piece of plastic where I screw the led into. The bracket was mounted using the original screws for the glove box.

For wiring I pulled an extra wire from the domelight while installing the red ambient leds. I soldered the footwell wires to the center dome light. This way I could turn them on with the switch if I wanted to. And they will also come on when doors are opened. They also have a really nice fade in and out.

I also added "rear" footwell lights to the storage compartment behind the seats. Now it's easy to see in there.

I also wanted to add some red ambient leds to the footwells.
They are wired together with the leds in the domelight. They come on when the cluster is illuminated.

2 leds on both sides. In the drivers side there was plastic where I could mount the leds.

They are not really this bright. When they are on you can just about see the red glow from the footwell. Just like I wanted. I don't like the overly bright red leds.

This is closer to reality but still looks much brigher.

On the passanger side I made a similar bracket as for the white led.
lollero2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lollero2 »

jaroslaav_ wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:28 pm Very nice mod. I have that planned as well. Looking forward on the footwell lighting.
Just posted about the footwell lights. Hopefully you like my execution and find some inspiration :)
jaroslaav_
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by jaroslaav_ »

lollero2 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 8:03 pm Just posted about the footwell lights. Hopefully you like my execution and find some inspiration :)
Nice work you did there mate :) Red footwell lights are on my never ending to-do list as well :D will be doing them once it gets warmer outside.
2020 Volkswagen Caddy 2.0TDi - Pure Grey
My little humble build thread: https://www.caddy2k.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54170
caddymaximal
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by caddymaximal »

lollero2 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:49 pm Now was the time for interior mods.

First automatic light switch from aliexpress

Then an always on reverse camera. You can see this camera in some of the earlier photos on the brake light

Used the same fabric as in the back to cover the cup holders to stop rattling of keys.
At the same time I sound proofed and fabric covered the storage space behind the seats

Got an android headunit with wireless android auto

Installed sunvisors with mirrors since the stock ones didn't have mirrors for some reason.

Sound proofed the doors and upgraded the speakers from stock coaxials to a separate tweeter system.

Made a 3d printed adapter for the tweeters

Changed the stock seats to touran seats with the fold mechanism. I am quite tall so I just drilled the stock bases for the touran seats as I have read that this way they sit lower.

After this I cut a hole in the bulkhead to allow me to transport longer items.

I made a chair from the old seat

And since this is a van I use for my business. I got some custom door projector logo lights from aliexpresswith my logo. Customers have loved these and asked many questions about them.
I wired them in when upgraded the speakers since the door card was off and the control module was easily accessible. But I installed them a little bit later.
Does the android headunit works well? What mark and ordered from?
lollero2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lollero2 »

caddymaximal wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:09 am Does the android headunit works well? What mark and ordered from?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1802yc1OuF
I have the V1 Pro(2GB 32GB).

The headunit is really good. The wireless android auto works great. I would recommend this headunit if you are thinking about upgrading from the stock one. All steering wheel controls also work.
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

Lollero - please update us in time how this unit is going... sometimes they work really great at the start but they after time passes they cause difficulties for the owner

btw, what vehicle did the new sun visors come from ?

cheers
lollero2
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by lollero2 »

stu_b wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:25 am Lollero - please update us in time how this unit is going... sometimes they work really great at the start but they after time passes they cause difficulties for the owner

btw, what vehicle did the new sun visors come from ?

cheers
It has been in daily use for almost a year. Including +25C summer and -25C winter. It has been flawless so far.

The visors are also from a Caddy but it had some different trim level that included mirrors in the visors.
stu_b
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by stu_b »

good to know
seems like it is lasting the test of time
caddymaximal
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by caddymaximal »

lollero2 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:51 pm https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... 1802yc1OuF
I have the V1 Pro(2GB 32GB).

The headunit is really good. The wireless android auto works great. I would recommend this headunit if you are thinking about upgrading from the stock one. All steering wheel controls also work.
does the fuse need to be enlarged if you connect the footwell lights (from Ali) + a separate switch? where should the power be taken from and where did you ground it?