HELP! losing a lot of oil

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
AceCaddi
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

HELP! losing a lot of oil

Post by AceCaddi »

Hey guys and gals,
Not sure if someone can help me or had the same situation.

Basically I’ve started using the van a lot more than, the van starts and drive lovely but on cold start it is very Smokey! I mean veryyyyyy Smokey. I’ve got a video but not sure if it will upload.
Once the van warms up the van does not smoke unless you absolutely beat it… which it’s a 1.9 TDI and it’s remapped so I expect it to smoke a little then. (Know the saying ‘dirty diesel’) it will smoke a little bit of black.

Anyway, I’m losing a lot of oil from somewhere but no oil leaks?! I’ve put in 5L of 5W30 low saps in less than a month, I’m on my 3rd refill of oil.

Like I said, no oil is under than van once it’s park up,
What am I missing?

If the video don’t unload and you want to see add me on instagram and I’ll send it to you
Acecaddi on Instagram, pretty simple
Please help me

PS I’m only using the diesel cleaning stuff you put in fuel to help it or what ever it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AceCaddi
100BHP+

Re: HELP! losing a lot of oil

Post by AceCaddi »

I’m can’t forgive out how to upload the video sorry

Nicklouse
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Post by Nicklouse »

AceCaddi wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 7:47 pm I’m can’t forgive out how to upload the video sorry

Save it on YouTube and share the link.
BenT
100BHP+

Post by BenT »

When you say it's smoking on start up, is it blue or black (or white)? If it's not leaking oil then it's burning it. Or, if the turbo oil seals are worn out, it could be leaking oil straight into the exhaust system.

Does the turbo sound OK? Is it boosting properly?

Most likely to be either a piston ring problem, valve stem oil seals, turbo or crank case oil separator.

If you're hands-on, perhaps undo the v-clamp holding the cat onto the turbo and have a peak at the turbine and check for shaft play and or an oil leak? I'd the boost pipes are soaking wet inside this could indicate a turbo or crank case vent problem. Removing the intake manifold would let you look at the valves for signs of seal leakages. If this is all fine then a compression check might tell you if the rings are worn. I take it the head gasket's OK?
AceCaddi
100BHP+

Post by AceCaddi »

AceCaddi
100BHP+

Post by AceCaddi »

BenT wrote:When you say it's smoking on start up, is it blue or black (or white)? If it's not leaking oil then it's burning it. Or, if the turbo oil seals are worn out, it could be leaking oil straight into the exhaust system.

Does the turbo sound OK? Is it boosting properly?

Most likely to be either a piston ring problem, valve stem oil seals, turbo or crank case oil separator.

If you're hands-on, perhaps undo the v-clamp holding the cat onto the turbo and have a peak at the turbine and check for shaft play and or an oil leak? I'd the boost pipes are soaking wet inside this could indicate a turbo or crank case vent problem. Removing the intake manifold would let you look at the valves for signs of seal leakages. If this is all fine then a compression check might tell you if the rings are worn. I take it the head gasket's OK?
Hey, sorry the delayed reply, been mega busy since the weekend.
I’ve just uploaded a video on YouTube and shared the link, the smoke I would describe at white.
There is no oil leak, I park the van in the same spot and it’s no oil stain under the van.
The van doesn’t show any boosting problems, it’s pulling really well at the moment

GregWalters
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by GregWalters »

I’m no pro but that certainly seems to be turbo seal related

Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

My money would be on a turbo seal failure. It's probably best to get it sorted before you have a catastrophic failure and the engine runs away on its own oil.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
AceCaddi
100BHP+

Post by AceCaddi »

It’s going in tomorrow to be looked at. Not ideal just before Christmas but it happens.
If it is turbo seals, what would that involve to get sorted? Is that a new turbo job?

GregWalters
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by GregWalters »

New or refurb turbo, you can change the chra if you are confident enough

AceCaddi
100BHP+

Post by AceCaddi »

Thought it might be, it’s getting checked tomorrow so see if it is the seals and if so go from there

Revtnr
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Revtnr »

Grey smoke is not burned oil
AceCaddi
100BHP+

Post by AceCaddi »

Revtnr wrote:Grey smoke is not burned oil
What do you think it could be?

RyanCummins
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by RyanCummins »

Smokes under load which suggests turbo is passing oil. Smoke colour doesn’t necessarily mean what it used to on n/an engines. If turbo is passing oil it almost certainly messing with the air fuel ratio which in turn causes excessive smoke.
AceCaddi
100BHP+

Post by AceCaddi »

It’s been a long time since I’ve been on here, I actually deleted the app to make some room on my phone

Turbo seals was gone in the end, replaced the turbo with all new seals, oil feed pipe, return pipe and oil and filters etc to get the warranty covered. And Van have been up and running sweet (had the van back about 4 months ago)