wireless android auto dongle, factory HU

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

wireless android auto dongle, factory HU

Post by Lockstock »

Hi all,
I have a discover media unit, 2016 maxi. Wired android auto works well.

Has anyone used Motorola Wireless AA dongle (MA1)?

it looks good, but I have read conflicting accounts saying:

You can't use the vans integrated Bluetooth at same time, so you have to fully unpair all phones from van and wipe data. So you loose ADP2 integration for phone calls in van. Only Android Auto integrated calling will work.

Another comment said you cannot have your phone connected to any other Bluetooth or WiFi devices (including internet router) at same time as AA dongle, as it will interfere.

Lastly some people report it can take up to 60 seconds for phone to connect wirelessly to AA and that the interface is laggy compared to wired.

If anyone has first hand experience with a wireless dongle, feedback would be amazing. YouTube doesn't give me any confidence.
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Re: wireless android auto dongle, factory HU

Post by Doc »

I have a cheapish dongle from Amazon which works just fine.
I can make calls through the instrument cluster without issues while AA is running. My Samsung watch is connected via BT 24/7/365 and causes no problems.
Connection is made within a few seconds of my Discover Media AA starting up.

My only issue is, sometimes (1 in 50 times) the dongle tries to establish a MirrorLink connection which is not compatible with my phone.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Lockstock
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by Lockstock »

@doc this is reassuring. what dongle did you go for?

I was leaning toward Motorola as was the only 'reputable' brand I could see.

All the equivalent 'android boxes' from China have been shown to send all your personal data to dubious people as soon as they get an internet connection. I'd imagine these random dongles may do the same. but if the price is right 🤣
Doc
Not God, just a bellend
Engine size/power: 2.0TSI EA888 Gen3

Post by Doc »

Nolansend Wireless Android Auto Adapter.
https://amzn.eu/d/0vwi9Li

The Carlinkit is regarded as the best from my reading, I just couldn't justify the price at the time. They are closer in price now than when I purchased in May 2023.
2013 Caddy with EA888 Gen3 2.0TSI DSG, Superplus MSP19 , Caddy4 rear lights, Polo GTI (mk7 style) steering wheel, Relentless Tuning front coilovers, Audi A6 S-Line front seats, Boxster fronts & GTI rear Brakes, 3D Colour Premium dash cluster, Caddy life arm rest, Motexion bulkhead, MIB head unit

All posts written by me are the intellectual property of the caddy2K forum and I do not consent to copying or redistribution of any sort
Tallahassee
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Tallahassee »

I use AAwireless for 6 months now, works like a charm.
The only downside is, I takes a lot from the battery of my Samsung s22.
A new version is coming soon, with a physical button etc. Created in Holland, build in Hungary.
makzimum
Caddy Fan

Post by makzimum »

Tallahassee wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:11 pm I use AAwireless for 6 months now, works like a charm.
The only downside is, I takes a lot from the battery of my Samsung s22.
A new version is coming soon, with a physical button etc. Created in Holland, build in Hungary.
I've been torn between the Motorola and AAWireless but had just about decided on the AAWireless - followed them since their kickstarter and seem a good team behind it. And now you've said it's been good for 6 months I'm definitely decided, although if there's a new version on the way I'll wait for that. :D Where did you get that info?
makzimum
Caddy Fan

Post by makzimum »

Tallahassee
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Tallahassee »

I saw this in an dutch article at androidworld.nl. so I gave it a shot, and never look back. 👌