Caddy Mk3

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
b2uem
Caddy2k Groupie

Caddy Mk3

Post by b2uem »

Hi Everyone...

Seeking some advice if possible please?

I have a problem with the caddy door locks and handles.
Left the van running and jamp out to go to the back of the van and the van must have dead locked itself.
So tried all doors and to no prevail not possible to get into the van.
I ended up pulling the door handle back and getting in via a coat hanger pulling the latch.

The handles to passenger and drivers side have been sticking and staying out postion when ive gone to drive the van from memory before this happened
so have had to push back in every time ive gone to use the van but have just started doing so.
Now i can hear the locks operating,so think the locks are good.

When i used the coat hanger i noticed a small cable goes to the handle and this i had to release in order to get into the van.
it seemed to be sticking to the upper right corner of the hole when i was trying to get access in.
Would this be my problem?
Do i remove the door card and then window and gain access this way?

Can i ask where is best to get the relevant parts without being daft prices...who do you guys use or is vw main dealer?
Also the lock thats there i would like to get working but the key does not work so new locks needed for drivers and passenger
whats the best way going about this also?

Im sorry to ask all this and i only am because i have no access as of yet to the sites how tos and cant find anything on YouTube that gives a clear view of the job.
Im desperate to get fixed as need next week but with a cable tie poking out the door wont work going anywhere :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance guys
PeterAFox
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Re: Caddy Mk3

Post by PeterAFox »

Hi,
I don't know so much about this but I'm sure you access the locks by removing the inside door panel (windows can be left alone).
When I've changed locking mechanisms, I've always ended up buying from a vw dealer - ebay was more expensive.
I would strongly recommend paying for an hour on erwin (erwin.co.uk? - vw.co.uk?) - get organized before and then download all the pdfs you can (start with your own model). These docs are very helpful, esp. for things like doors, locks etc.

good luck

pete
Dislexicdonkey
200BHP+

Post by Dislexicdonkey »

Handles could have been removed previously and not installed correctly? The cable you see will have a black cylinder shape clip on the end? These have to be clipped into the actual handle itself, but not to a point of being crazy tight. From experience they need to be nearly flush with the back of the outer door handle.

You will see numerous little grooves in the handle itself where they sit into which will give you the adjustment on the cable.

Not saying this will fix it but if the cable isn’t connected then the door wont open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
b2uem
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by b2uem »

Hi guys,

@Dislexicdonkey Thanks for your help, ive just tried what you spoke about on the pas side as i was trying toi get access in from when it dead locked.
So set the cable end on the very outer end of the handle groove,the door handle sometimes stays open...ive sprayed with silicone wd 40 but its not great Im thinking now maybe the spring on this is gone also that ive encountered ion the other side.

Ive pulled the door card off and the inner door skin and window regulator,taped the window up for now incase it smashes.
Have removed the lock,main cable and then the door handle frame.
I believe this is where my problem is..now the spring that is on the frame has snapped the plastic that holds it in the position.
Ive just ordered a replacement,im hoping this is the problem as i cant see anything else.

Just trying to work out now how it all goes back together?
looks a pain to get back in place,must be all done from through the exterior door handle side im guessing?
Ill post some pics up but im sure you guys know what im talking about.

It would actually be easier to just get a whole door and replace that way..just madness.

But from a quality side i have to admit its built well just not in a way of fixing haaa

@PeterAFox Thankyou also,can i ask is that vw.co.uk will there be workshop manual like pdf style you mean? how handy
Bahnstormer
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (138bhp)

Post by Bahnstormer »

Peter is talking about https://erwin.volkswagen.de/erwin/showHome.do. Sign up, buy yourself an hours access for about €7 and download everything you could ever want to know - I normally press the "Print" button, then select "Microsoft print to PDF" in the printer selection box, it'll ask you where you want to save it.
b2uem
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by b2uem »

@Bahnstormer and peter thank you for this will give this a go very handy