Caddy tailgate retro fit

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
nags
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Caddy tailgate retro fit

Post by nags »

Hi guys hoping to purchase another caddy mk4 found a very low mileage one but it’s got barn doors have searched but can’t find a lot of info about retro fitting a tailgate have found a guy breaking one local to me so could get the bits handy enough have seen that there is a reinforcement bar to be added but can’t find a part number for it and with the gas struts i also need a reinforcement plate but from what I can see you can’t buy it but was thinking I could remove it of the parts van also then the wiring crops up does anyone have more info on it is I a case of getting an extra loom or does it need rewired/pinned and do you have any details on that? Sorry for the long post but trying to find a tailgate model with the with the sec I want is hard!
Andy-Lloyd
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: Caddy tailgate retro fit

Post by Andy-Lloyd »

That's certainly a big undertaking. Regarding the wiring... Stanthevwcaddyman on Instagram sells the relevant looms for barn door to tailgate conversion. I dare say he's also on this forum somewhere, but still new so don't have full acsess yet.
PJD
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by PJD »

Seen a video a while back with a tailgate retrofit on a transporter, where reinforcement plates were welded where the hinges are. Looks like a lot of work and quite invasive.

Sounds like a similar requirement for the Caddy.

Might still be somewhere on YouTube.

Then you will know what you are getting into
SnoWhite
Twin Turbo poster
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

Post by SnoWhite »

You might want to have a look at this thread...

viewtopic.php?p=442405&hilit=barn+door+ ... te#p442405
nags
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 TDI (140bhp)

Post by nags »

Cheers guys found that post but didn’t come up in search bar for some reason seems fair bit of work but trying to find one with a tailgate and low miles and highline is next impossible to find! But there plenty of choice for barn doors!