BG Caddy - metal instead of rear windows

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
pocketcup
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 2.0 CR TDI (108bhp)

BG Caddy - metal instead of rear windows

Post by pocketcup »

I’ve just bought a 2017 ex British Gas Caddy Maxi. I was hoping to be able to remove the film from the rear windows but my caddy doesn’t seem to have any 🙈

Has anyone replaced these panels with windows and how easy a job is it?

Thanks!
PJD
100BHP+

Re: BG Caddy - metal instead of rear windows

Post by PJD »

There are some great vids on YouTube that are well worth looking at to know what's involved in fitting van windows.

I recently paid to have some fitted to the side doors instead of doing it myself for these reasons.

You need a dry space or a dry day and temperatures above 5 degrees for the sealant to cure.
Though you can use an angle grinder or jigsaw to remove the metal, a metal nibbler seems the best way to do it.
If you get it wrong the the windows can leak and the only way to really remedy this to remove the glass and try again which is a really awkward thing to do.

If the weather had been reliable I might have bought a nibbler for £40 and borrowed a compressor. In the end the cost to have them fitted was about £100 per window. That included the sealant they used and having the edges carpeted.

It's one of those jobs where the cost saving is not that worthwhile. Though the experience of doing it would be worth having a go at, if the tools are to hand and the weather is good.
spgrace
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by spgrace »

I have the same issue, 2016 Caddy exBG - thought they were film covered glass but they look like plastic panels . . I have move this down the project list as looks complicated . . Mind you the wing mirrors are pretty good . .
pocketcup
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by pocketcup »

Thanks mate. I've seen a good few videos that involve making the cuts in the panels first but wasn't sure how similar the process was for cases where the fake windows were already installed.

I think youre right about getting a pro in to do them. For the rear windows at least anyway I think Ill get them done by someone who knows what theyre doing haha