Correct speed limit driving caddy on motorways etc

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
Sezzi
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Correct speed limit driving caddy on motorways etc

Post by Sezzi »

i sure i had a letter re classing the caddy too 60max or something

anyone been pulled over or know the new regs ?

Al
OldThumper
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.0 TSI (100bhp)

Re: Correct speed limit driving caddy on motorways etc

Post by OldThumper »

my sdi doesn't do much more than 60 mph anyway :lol: . Seems strange having limits on caddys tho I've never heard of such ,it's not exactly an hgv
Sezzi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sezzi »

I think they are restricted to 50mph on single carriageways as later models are are plated @ approx 2170kg

im not so sure about the motorways though

i deffo had a letter last year from i think DVLA or VOSA

Al'
Sezzi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sezzi »

Just found link

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2008/5/ ... dge/27911/

Al'

(admin: please remove if external link is unacceptable)
Stumper
100BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (79bhp)

Post by Stumper »

The speed limits are here on this link:

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

As the Caddy is >2 tonnes, the lower limits apply.
Sezzi
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Sezzi »

Great, so its still 70mph on motorways, but 60 on dual carriage ways,

i knew i should have read the letter.

A
DING-DONG
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by DING-DONG »

Sezzi wrote:Great, so its still 70mph on motorways, but 60 on dual carriage ways,

i knew i should have read the letter.

A
Yep and 50mph on single carriageways, I got done on the A64 in York by this law, I was sitting at 70mph on dual carriage when the car behind me lit up like a Xmas tree ..

It really is a weird one as some police forces don't police it, and others depending if there low on budget funds go out to get you.
fenwick458
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by fenwick458 »

Sezzi wrote:Just found link

http://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/2008/5/ ... dge/27911/

Al'

(admin: please remove if external link is unacceptable)
so basically vauxhalls whole small van market is hinged on the publics knowledge of this poorly enforced /stupid law? no wonder they are trying to get a bit of publicity about it!
i think they need to revise the weight, why the hell is it 2 tonnes when a 3 tonne range rover can go as fast as a car?
fenwick458
Hyper Poster

Post by fenwick458 »

according to http://www.volkswagen-vans.co.uk/caddy- ... fications/ the c20 weighs 1490kg empty, and carrying it's 698kg payload that makes it just under 2.2tonnes.

but a range rover weighs 2360kg EMPTY according to this http://carleasingmadesimple.com/busines ... ical-data/ and when fully loaded it's 3.2 tonnes

so by that logic, it must be safer if you have side windows and seats in the back :?
DING-DONG
Hyper Poster

Post by DING-DONG »

fenwick458 wrote:
so by that logic, it must be safer if you have side windows and seats in the back :?

That's exactly how it works because this law goes on the laiden weight in the v5 so when fully loaded you will have more loaded carriage to move around than a vehicle fitted with rear seats, and they say it takes longer to stop a loaded vehicle and the impact it causes in the event of a accident is usually more serious that does make sense, when I got nicked the copper never even looked In my vehicle and at the time i was in a vito sport it had every safety extra you could imagine and the back was empty but he was having none of it .

I previous had a Vx astra sportive van 1990kg laiden and states car-derived van in the v5 and now i have a caddy kombi so this law is not applicable 2 both vehicles.

It really is luck of the draw you may never get nicked regardless, however if you ever use the A64 near York tread carefully they get loads of van drivers with this law.
fenwick458
Hyper Poster

Post by fenwick458 »

so lets have an experiment,
take a caddy maxi life, loaded with 500kg, and a caddy maxi panel van also loaded with 500kg. both of them same engine, wheels, brakes etc.

put them side by side on a dual carrigeway and get them upto 70mph, both of them slam on at the same point, which van stops first?

obviously it will be the caddy life as it has side windows, and thats what makes it safer to carry more weight! :lol: :lol:
DING-DONG
Hyper Poster

Post by DING-DONG »

Soz if my explanation confused, I was trying to state one of the reasons why they take the laiden weight as there target for prosecution, they say a fully loaded van takes longer to stop, and there is more movement of carriage of goods in a van than a van with seats because there is less room for carriage, But take the seats out of a life or kombi van and you have have the same volume of a Normal van and no speed restriction and the tax is cheaper ! It don't make sense

If you put 500kg in a caddy maxi and 500kg in a maxi life than the life will be well overweight compared to the caddy maxi van ! However if you just put 500kg in a caddy maxi van than you about on par with a unloaded maxi life !
fenwick458
Hyper Poster

Post by fenwick458 »

caddy maxi panel van 102PS, kerb weight is 1560, payload is 750 so GVW = 2310
caddy maxi life 102PS, kerb weight 1751, payload 594 and GVW = 2345

so if they were both fully loaded, the panel vans actually lighter, yet you can't go as fast in it which is bloody mental. the line "a fully loaded van takes longer to stop" is not a very clear statement. so back to the range rover example and the range rover is nearly a ton heavier with both vehicles fully loaded, i'd be betting that a caddy will pull up before the RR if both were to slam on from 70mph.
maybe this is why it's not policed, because it's clearly been put together by some moron whos come to the conclusion that panel vans are nearly always on or above their weight limit and cram their vans full or unstable loads and should have to go slower than everybody else. which is discrimination really!
wai
200BHP+
Engine size/power: 1.4 16V Petrol (74bhp)

Post by wai »

Are there other concessions that the Caddy Maxi gets that the Caddy Maxi Life does not get?

Thankfully we do not have those same speed restrictions in Australia. The only speed restriction variances kick in with trucks generally 4.1 tonne GVM or higher. Then it is 100 km/h in areas posted at 110 km/h, but trucks regularly disable the speed limiters. They do get caught when there is a genral blitz at various heavy vehicle checking stations in NSW however.