What did you do to your van today?

Random Caddy chat.
Not the place for sale or wanted topics.
C Chis
Hyper Poster

What did you do to your van today?

Post by C Chis »

Took my first trip of the year to my local scrapyard with a mate who was looking for some under bonnet insulation for his son’s ST and I ended up coming home with a couple of sets of BMW number plate LED’s c/w plugs (advisory on MOT last week) and some 10 pin plugs and sockets for making 12 to 10 pin adapters to test my Bi-xenon Touran headlight conversion without having to pull the bumper until I’m sure it all works. The price shocked me though, £8.00 for the lot, happy days!

Oh, and I picked up brackets for my warning triangle too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (102bhp)

Re: What did you do to your van today?

Post by the swan fiend »

How are you planning to do your headlight conversion Colin? Are you going down the self levelling route? I spoke to EM Tuning about a set and he was saying the levelling sensors aren’t needed as you can control them from the dashboard switch. It was news to me!
I’m considering a set myself…..when funds allow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rescue me from the swans in me
C Chis
Hyper Poster

Post by C Chis »

Hi Pete,

Yes, intending to head down the self levelling route. I salvaged the front sensor, the rear sensor and the control module from the R32 when i picked up my spare engine and box. As my van was registered after 2009 and the because the Touran bumper has headlight washers fitted I need to enable these as well.

MOT testers manual is a bit vague when it comes to retrofitting levelling devices though.... essentially if it's fitted it needs to work or its a fail, if not fitted then not a fail as long as you can adjust them manually. After saying that I kind of like the idea of fitting and forgetting and not having to adjust my lights if I lift or lower my van when going over speed humps or carrying a load, I get peeved off when oncoming headlights dazzle.

From the manual....

"4.1.5. Levelling devices
Make sure any manual headlamp levelling devices (driver controls) work by:

switching on the dipped beam headlamps
operating the manual levelling device
checking that the headlamp beams move up and down
returning the levelling device control to its original position

Vehicles with high intensity discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with a suspension or headlamp self-levelling system. If these systems have been fitted, they must work.

Sometimes it is not easy to determine if the self-levelling systems work. In such cases you should give the benefit of the doubt.

You can identify HID headlamps from:

‘DCR’ mark on the headlamp lens or body
an igniter module or inverter behind the headlamp
taking a few seconds to reach full intensity
a bluish tinge to the light"
2010 pre-facelift Mk3 3.2 VR6 : Touran Interior : 3D Premium Clocks : R32 Bumper : Climatic A/C

My VR6 Build Thread and Details can be Found Here
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

Interesting reading that Colin, thanks for posting it.
I suppose a fit and forget system is an advantage. I’m still undecided about what to do, but from what the manual says (the way I interpret it) is that it should be ok without, providing you have manual control.

Like you I’m very conscious about not dazzling other drivers though. I don’t want to be that person.

drwormy
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.4TSI

Post by drwormy »

Wired on the young fellas electrical system, adding a Renogy 30A DCDC charger and 100 AH LiFePO4 battery.

50A breaker in the engine bay, 16mm2 wire through the grommit behind the start battery to the LHS seat. The battery tucked nicely under the cargo floor, with room for the DCDC, another breaker and 12 gang fuse box. Tested its charging - still have to find an IGN feed from the fuse box to trigger the DCDC when the alternator reduces its voltage.
Handyandy
Hyper Poster
Engine size/power: 1.6 CR TDI (75bhp)

Post by Handyandy »

Time for a good clean I'm sure it was feeling neglected ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

Beluga blue caddy remapped to 145ish side window and bonnet deflector lowered and 18" calibre rims on 225/40/18
foneflex
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.9 TDI (104bhp)

Post by foneflex »

Snow foam clean today
And fitted USB, cigarette lighter and battery voltage reader in the back today before i carpet it

foghorn
Caddy2k Groupie
Engine size/power: 1.2 TSI (103bhp)

Post by foghorn »

Put some window tint on the back windows of my combi. First time tinging, small side windows went like a breeze, large side windows slightly difficult, probably will have to go over it with a hairdryer later for a couple creases. The back window will be for another day, don't have power here for heating tools.

Slightly disappointed with the tint, in combination with the factory tint I expected more, but you can still see outlines and stuff inside if you look closer / put your head to the window. I used foliatec blacknight reflex dark 15%. Should have gone for the 5%.

Next up, installing my wool insulation. I'm considering skipping adding extra sound deadening, the combi already comes with some. Anyone got recs for spray on glue that won't give me cancer? :D (And still have to buy some 4 way stretch fabric, also recs welcome)
Jammydoger
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Jammydoger »

sorting out the loom ready for some changes https://postimg.cc/bZrVNVnq
Bluemooner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bluemooner »

Had a busy week on the van ..sorry for the overload of info and pics .. complete strip out the van .. I've gone half on van and micro conversion with my son (not really working as the bank of Dad is getting used more) ..the van looks clean but stunk .the seller had steam cleaned inside which meant crudd and stuff under mats ,seats ,trims ..the rear is 70%sound deafened and insulated. We have put acoustic chipboard down (this will have a vinyl put over )plan for electrics .. leisure battery,split load relay ,500w inverter, 8 way 12v fuse block ..we have took out so much redundant BG wiring ( just to simplify things ) .this project is more for my son .he's 21 and has a job where rest days are important so basically it's his baby and he has a vision ..I was thinking re colour away from the BG Blue (he wants to work with it ) ..we have bought some Skoda Octavia 18inch alloys (with 6month old continental tyres on ) we will lower 40mm on front and we're thinking 90mm on rear but might wait until loaded to see how it sits , we are trying to do this with budget in mind but looking online at some of the stuff available it's hard not to go over the top . We bought seat covers ,I was sceptical but they look ok . everything is getting scrubbed and cleaned .. probably get a steering wheel cover and new radio/sat nav system ? (Not sure on technical term) .I've bought a Touran front carpet in really good condition ..so this weekend we removed the rear bumper,going to sand and prime ready for paint ,going to renew the parking sensors (not working ) we've bought a reverse camera,so needed to sort the wires for this ..THEN!! Realised the reverse lights don't work Image.. now things have moved on from my Mini and Cortina days ,.. anyway got our heads round it (bear with me ) no power to the reverse lights ,all fuses ok and in the right place (as per manual) so ..after a day of head scratching and checking forums and internet ( so many different opinions) .Ive gone for running a live to the reverse lights via a switch with a red light (when on ) which is fed from the feed that is now redundant from the rear and front internal lights .which now means when we reverse ,to turn on the reverse camera, sensors and reverse lights you flick the switch then off when your done ..now I know what you're going to be saying (you'll leave the switch on ) I'm hoping the fact that the red light will be lit and parking sensor beeping will be enough to prompt us to turn it off (what do you think? ) .. hopefully we'll start putting carpets and dashboard panels and trims back this week and then fit seats back .. hopefully all pictures load..would appreciate all comments..looking forward. Fitting out inside (hopefully small sink and hob) .clad ceiling ,carpet sides,lower springs ..and after taking the bonnet cover off realised that we will need a same colour respray (working to a budget)ImageImageImage.. main aim is to get something my lad can use ,take his bike ,kayak and generally be comfortable ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Deanomk1
Caddy Fan
Engine size/power: 1.8 20V Turbo

Post by Deanomk1 »

Bought one! Finally after lurking for a long time! Being delivered next week is a 2016 black highline. Already getting a long list of things to do.
the swan fiend
Hyper Poster

Post by the swan fiend »

@Deanomk1

Nice one mate! Don’t forget to get a build thread on the go so we can see what you get up to.

Ryzar1
Hyper Poster

Post by Ryzar1 »

Weekend project colour coding rear bumper eventually van will get either wrapped or re sprayed Image

Ryzar1
Hyper Poster

Post by Ryzar1 »

What a difference Image

Bluemooner
Caddy2k Groupie

Post by Bluemooner »

Looks great that .. mine is off at the moment 2coats of primer and a few scuffs and scrapes to fill ..not decided if we paint match with what we have or recolour the whole van